Herbal Braised Pork Belly with Burdock Root
Cooking Time: 2 hours 30 minutes
800g pork belly
60ml Huiji Waist Tonic
120g burdock root
50g ginger (sliced)
15g garlic (sliced)
1 stalk japanese scallion
100ml soya sauce
2 tbsp sugar
2 tbsp oil
- Roughly chopped 120g burdock root and 1 carrot. Thinly slice 50g ginger and 15g garlic.
- Cut the green portion of the scallion into 5cm length and the white portion into thin strips.
- Cut 800g pork belly into 2 inch squares.
- Add 1 tbsp oil in wok, sear pork belly,skin side down. Flip over and brown on all sides. Set aside once it’s done.
- In a claypot, heat up 1 tbsp of oil. Fry sliced ginger and garlic until fragrant.
- Add in burdock and carrot. Stir fry for 1 minute.
- Add in 140ml sake, 80ml mirin, 100ml soya sauce, 2 tbsp sugar, the green portion of the scallion, 600ml water and 30ml Huiji Waist Tonic. Add enough to cover the meat if needed.
- Bring to a boil, cover and simmer until pork belly becomes tender but still holds it’s shape, around 2 hours.
- Turn off heat and add in 30ml Huiji Waist Tonic.
- Serve and garnish with scallion strips. Optional to serve with a small dollop of hot mustard.