Huiji Ku Kueh
Japanese sweet potato: 100g
Glutinous rice flour: 130-160g
Fine grained sugar: 5 tbsp
Warm water: 60g
Huiji Waist Tonic: 120ml
Peanut oil: 2 tbsp
Roasted peanut: 300g
White sesame: 50g
Salt: 1/4 tsp salt
1. First, make the fillings
2. Crush 300g roasted peanuts into fine pieces,
3. Roast 50g of white sesame seeds.
4. Mix the roasted peanuts, white sesame seeds, 2 tbsp glutinous rice flour, 1 tbsp peanut oil, 40ml Huiji Waist Tonic, 1 tbsp fine grain sugar, and 1/4 tsp salt in a food processor.
5. Roll them into 30g balls.
6. Peel the Japanese sweet potato, slice them thinly, and steam them until soft. Mash into pulp.
7. To a food blender, add the Japanese sweet potato, the glutinous rice flour, 2 tbsp fine grain sugar, 60g warm water, 80ml Huiji Waist tonic, and 1 tbsp peanut oil.
8. These ingredients form a dough. Add more gluttonous rice flour if needed.
9. Divide dough into 13-15 portions, 30g each. Cover to prevent dough from drying out.
10. To assemble it, take a portion of the dough and flatten to form a disc larger than the balls of the fillings.
11. Place the fillings in the middle of the flattened dough and proceed wrap it carefully.
12. Pinch off any excess dough.
13. Dust the surface of the dough with glutinous rice flour.
14. Place it onto the mould with the pinched ends facing upwards.
15. Carefully press the dough ball slowly and gently flatten the topside as well as to form a good imprint of the underside.
16. Remove the kueh and place it on a piece of the banana leaf that has been brushed with a thin layer of oil.
17. Repeat to make more kueh.
18. Place the kueh in a steamer and steam at high heat for 3 minutes.
19. Remove the cover and tilt to drain away the condensation.
20. Leave a small gap between the cover and the steamer to let the steam escape.
21. Steam for another 2 to 3 minutes under high heat.
22. Brush the kueh with a thin layer of oil and set aside to cool before removing from the steamer.
*Recipe by Alan Goh
Original URL: https://travelling-foodies.com/2017/05/02/huiji1/