- Red dates: 400g
- Water: 5 cups and 120ml (separately)
- Red date sugar/ brown sugar: 70g
- Tapioca starch: 240g
- Glutinous rice flour: 60g
- Water chestnut flour: 30g
- Huiji Waist Tonic: 50ml
- Rinse and drain the red dates, place them in a pot and add 5 cups of water and bring to a boil.
- Boil them for 30 minutes and let it cool down for 1 to 2 hours.
- Mash the red dates and sieve to extract the juice.
- Pour the juice into a pot and add the 120ml water.
- Add in the red date sugar/ brown sugar and bring to a boil to fully dissolve the sugar. Set aside to cool.
- Mix the tapioca, glutinous rice, and water chestnut flour into a large mixing bowl.
- Gradually add the red date juice and stir well.
- The batter should be 750ml. Take 150ml out and add Huiji Waist Tonic to it. Stir well.
- You will have two portions, 600ml of red date batter, 200ml Huiji red date batter.
- Oil a 7 inch baking pan and place the pan into a steamer.
- Pour about 140-150ml of red date batter into the pan to steam for 8 minutes, followed by 60-70ml of Huiji red date batter.
- Continue until all the batter is used up. You should have a few layers of. After the last layer is added, steam the cake for 40-45 minutes.
- After steaming, let the cake cool.
- Cut the cake into bite size pieces and serve.
*Recipe by Meg Tan
Original URL: http://dreamersloft.blogspot.sg/2017/04/steamed-red-date-huiji-layer-cake.html